Specific baits and techniques are used according to the type of waters we are planning to fish in: creeks, ponds, bayous, rivers, lakes, etc.
Also, there are specific types of baits that we must consider which are used for the different bodies of water. That is tips on how to catch catfish
Methods, Techniques and Baits:
- Rigging Method – Depending on the bait used, loop the bait holder or the treble hook from a line to a preferred distance to the end. Bait movement is not recommended therefore a weight should be used to allow the rig to set in a still position. A distance of 18″ to 24″ from the hook should be sufficient.
- Slip-weight Method – As in the first method, using a slip-weight to make the bait stable is also effective. The weight doesn’t matter much as long as it can slide to and fro on the line.
The catfish will not feel the slip-weight because it will stay stationary underwater as the line slides through the hole of the slip-weight. I prefer to use a small bullet weight (Ultra Tin Reusable Split Shot (size bb)about 12-14″ up the line from my bait and hook to prevent the slip-weight from joining up with the hook and bait.
- Multi-bait Technique – The multi-bait technique, as implied, allows multiple catches at once. Simply place a three-way swivel along the line. As it draws more strikes it makes a great choice for catching more catfish at the same time.
- Bait Options – Experts opt for chicken livers or medium-sized shrimp. The shrimp’s tail and skin must be removed and body big enough to slide up on a number 6 hook.
This option is easier than the chicken liver which necessitates the use of pantyhose. A diameter of a quarter is wrapped in a piece of pantyhose leaving a tag end then attach it through the treble hook. You can also attach it to #5 – #8 circle hooks when using trotlines and cut baits.
Blood worms, minnows, catfish paste, nightcrawlers, snails, living or dead small fish, and dough baits like TopCats Premium Homemade Catfish Dough Bait are also good choices of baits.
- Chumming – Fishermen catch more catfish with this method. This is simply throwing balls of mixtures of natural recipes in the fishing area. This attracts more catfish; the trick is that the mixture should be right enough for the catfish to feed heavily. The hook that will be used to fish normally must have the same recipe for the bait. Adding a good smelling flavor into the pasty mixture attracts catfish more.
- Tackling Technique – Although the technique involved with this method is by far the most effective, it is the bait (don’t forget) that attracts and brings the catfish in.
Make sure the grip is secure hooks are removed by pliers after catching the fish. Avoid being stuck with the fins as some are poisonous. Just simply sliding the hand up to its belly from its tail, placing the fingers behind one side and thumb behind the other can remove the catfish from the hook without any harm. Happy catfishing and good luck!